Carwyn specialises in supporting firms with their day-to-day compliance requirements, including advising on complex regulatory matters, AML and financial crime, compliance structures and governance, FinTech compliance challenges and regulatory change programmes. Carwyn specialises in advising investment managers, securities brokers, hedge funds, banks and corporate finance firms.
Carwyn has been a compliance professional for almost 20 years, with the last six years spent in senior consulting roles with CCL in London and Dubai. His early career saw him quickly take the role of European Compliance and Training Director for a regulated BPO organisation, where he controlled a team of 180 staff across the UK, Ireland, Argentina and the Philippines, and developed the compliance framework to meet European regulatory requirements, particularly those of the UK and Irish regulators.
Carwyn also worked as a Banking Supervisor for the FSA, overseeing an international bank with large banking operations in a high-risk financial crime territory. In addition to his day-to-day supervision activities, Carwyn led the end to end authorisation process for a full-service bank, with particular focus on governance, liquidity, risk management, financial crime control and outsourcing oversight.
After leaving the FSA, Carwyn worked as a Senior Manager within the Risk and Regulation team at Deloitte in London. In this role, he advised investment banks, broker-dealers and asset managers on regulatory compliance requirements and controls. He also specialised in assessing the effectiveness of compliance functions and implementing his recommendations to strengthen compliance controls. Carwyn is also experienced in leading Section 166 reviews on behalf of the UK regulator.
Prior to joining CCL's team in London, as a Director in our Dubai office Carwyn has also been a registered Compliance Officer and MLRO for eight DFSA licensed firms on an outsourced basis, where he provided real-time regulatory advice and assurance to the Board of each firm.
Carwyn is a frequent public speaker across multiple jurisdictions, covering regulatory risk management, regulatory technology (RegTech) and financial crime.
Recent work includes:
- Compliance effectiveness review for retail derivatives brokerage
- Co-sourced internal audit of MiFID II implementation for global asset manager
- AML systems and controls review for US investment bank
- MiFID II gap analysis for international securities brokerage
- Co-sourced internal audit of Market Abuse Regulation (MAR) compliance for global asset manager
- KYC remediation project for retail FX, CFD and spread betting brokerage
- Analysis of approved persons for London branch of global asset manager
- Advice on payment for order flow arrangements in derivative brokerage house